Below is a step-by-step how to start a blog tutorial.
3 years ago I started a blog with a mission to help other people and earn some extra income for my family. It took off faster than I could have imagined and has blessed millions of people. My husband was able to quit his full time job and now spends way more time with our family. Last year I made over $85,000 on this blog working part-time. You can check out my income reports here.
Another awesome part about this particular side business (besides the fact it makes full-time income with part-time hours) is that it’s flexible and can be done from anywhere. We were able to make money blogging and travel all over the US in RV with our family for 8 months!
It all started with taking that first step and starting a blog. Today, I want to show you how you can get started too.
Disclosure: We are an affiliate for Bluehost, which means we make a commission if you sign up—at no additional cost to you. I only recommend things that I have used and love. Bluehost is where we started our blog and where we recommend all our friends, family members and blog readers start. We’ve been able to negotiate a special discounted price for all our blog readers—you will get discounted pricing and a free domain through our link.
I recommend starting your blog on Bluehost because of their insanely low price, reliable service and exceptional customer service. Bluehost is where I started my blog, it’s also where I recommend all my friends, family and readers start. You’ll be renting a “plot” of internet land from them to start your blog on.
You can start a blog today for just a few bucks a month – I’ve negotiated a cheaper price with Bluehost for all our readers if you use our affiliate link below. You can start for as little as $2.95 a month and get a free domain ($15 value), that’s a special price only if you use my link. I’ll show you exactly what that means and how to do everything step-by-step below!
$3 a month is minuscule compared to how much you can make blogging. In fact, a year and a half after I started my blog, my blog was making enough my husband was able to quit his full time job! The blog is now our full-time income with part-time flexible hours. We’re also able to work from anywhere, we even took a 8 month RV adventure all over the United States and worked while we were on the road!
If you are a numbers person, here is how much I made at different stages in my startup blogging journey, you can use these as goals so you know what is possible and what to aim for. Note: You can do it even faster than me, I had no idea what I was doing the first few months. My goal is to show you how to do everything so you can make money even faster than I did.
- Month 4: $131
- Month 10: $3640
- Month 14: Over $9600 ($9684 to be exact)
Suddenly, $3 a month to start is sounding totally doable!
You might be wondering but what about blogspot or somewhere I can start my blog for free – don’t fall into that trap! It’s important that you are paying for your hosting that way you OWN your site and content. Getting started through Bluehost ensures your site is professional, that you own it and it’s easy to make money on.
And getting started is soooooo easy, I’ll show you exactly how below.
In this tutorial I’m going to show you how to start a blog on Bluehost and also how to install WordPress. Bluehost will be your hosting (hosting is a fancy word for space in the internet world, you’ll need to rent a “plot” of internet space for your blog) and WordPress is how you create your blog (it’s free!).
Click here to start (this will open in a new tab) and then follow the tutorial below!
How to Start a Blog
1. Click to Bluehost. Make sure the price says $2.95 (that is a special price for our readers if you use my link).
2. Hit the green “get started now” button.
3. Select the $2.95 BASIC package (you can always upgrade to the other ones later if you decided/wanted but the basic is where almost everyone (including myself) starts).
4. Choose your domain – this is your blog name. Don’t overthink it, go with your heart. So many people get stuck at this point and never start their blog because of it. Don’t let that be you – the best thing to do is give yourself a few minutes to think/brainstorm and then just go with your favorite name.
Note: If you already have a blog you can move your hosting over to Bluehost using the “i have a domain” field on the left.
5. Next, fill in all your personal information.
6. Scroll down to “package information” – here you can choose 12 or 36 months. Remember, that by paying for at least 12 months you’re getting your domain free (a $15 value). The 36 month plan is the best value. I recommend unchecking all the extra charges – in my opinion you don’t need these. But I highly recommend paying for Domain Privacy Protection – this keeps your information (address, email, phone) private from everyone on the internet – worth 99 cents a month.
7. Woo! Hoo! If you see this “welcome to bluehost” screen that means you officially started your blog! Congrats! A few more steps and you’ll be on your way. Hit create you password, then choose your password or have it suggest a password (that’s usually what I do that way I know it’s secure!) – be sure to write down your password in a safe spot.
8. Login and WordPress should automatically install. If it doesn’t, select your new blog name from the drop down menu and select install. Note: WordPress will install on your blog (not your computer).
9. You can then click the button to login or you can access your site anytime by going to your new blog domain and then adding “/wp-admin” to the end. (i.e. www.therealisticmama.com/wp-admin is how I access the backend of my site).
That’s it! WordPress is where you will customize your site (do this by installing a theme), write your first post, etc.
Congratulations on your new blog!
this easy step-by-step tutorial on how start a blog (no tech knowledge required).