Welcome to my how to start a blog tutorial!
Today I’m going to show you exactly how to start a blog, detailing everything step-by-step so you can follow along, avoid getting stuck and start making money.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure for more info.
What a whirlwind! 3 years ago I “splurged” and spent $3/mo to start a blog that’s primary purpose would be to help others. Once I figured out what I was doing, it took off faster than I could have imagined and has blessed millions of people. To top it off it’s also made $80,000+ a year to support our family. I’ve made over $210,000 total through this blog in the 3 years since I started and I expect that number to significantly grow from here.
We wake up every morning extremely blessed – pursuing something bigger than yourself is where it’s at. I now challenge you to start a blog and change the future…
I recommend starting your blog on Bluehost because of their insanely low price, reliable service and exceptional customer service. Bluehost is where I started my blog, it’s also where I recommend all my friends, family and readers start. You’ll be renting a “plot” of internet land from them to start your blog on.
You can start a blog today for just a few bucks a month – I’ve negotiated a cheaper price with Bluehost for all our readers if you use our affiliate link below. You can start for as little as $2.95 a month and get a free domain ($15 value), that’s a special price only if you use my link. I’ll show you exactly what that means and how to do everything step-by-step below!
$3 a month is minuscule compared to how much you can make blogging. In fact, a year and a half after I started my blog, my blog was making enough my husband was able to quit his full time job! The blog is now our full-time income with part-time flexible hours. We’re also able to work from anywhere, we even took a 8 month RV adventure all over the United States and worked while we were on the road!
If you are a numbers person, here is how much I made at different stages in my startup blogging journey, you can use these as goals so you know what is possible and what to aim for. Note: You can do it even faster than me, I had no idea what I was doing the first few months. My goal is to show you how to do everything so you can make money even faster than I did.
- Month 4: $131 (that’s over 43 months of hosting and remember you can do this all faster now that you know what you’re doing!)
- Month 10: $3640
- Month 14: Over $9600 ($9684 to be exact)
Suddenly, $3 a month to start is sounding totally doable!
You might be wondering but what about blogspot or somewhere I can start my blog for free – don’t fall into that trap! It’s important that you are paying for your hosting that way you OWN your site and content. Getting started through Bluehost ensures your site is professional, that you own it and it’s easy to make money on.
And getting started is soooooo easy, I’ll show you exactly how below.
In this tutorial I’m going to show you how to start a blog on Bluehost and also how to install WordPress. Bluehost will be your hosting (hosting is a fancy word for space in the internet world, you’ll need to rent a “plot” of internet space for your blog) and WordPress is how you create your blog (it’s free!).
Click here to start (this will open in a new tab) and then follow the tutorial below!
How to Start a Blog
1. Click to Bluehost.com. Make sure the price says $2.95 (that is a special price for our readers if you use my link).
2. Hit the green “get started now” button.
3. Select the $2.95 BASIC package (you can always upgrade to the other ones later if you decided/wanted but the basic is where almost everyone (including myself) starts).
4. Choose your domain – this is your blog name. Don’t overthink it, go with your heart. So many people get stuck at this point and never start their blog because of it. Don’t let that be you – the best thing to do is give yourself a few minutes to think/brainstorm and then just go with your favorite name.
Note: If you already have a blog you can move your hosting over to Bluehost using the “i have a domain” field on the left.
5. Next, fill in all your personal information.
6. Scroll down to “package information” – here you can choose 12 or 36 months. Remember, that by paying for at least 12 months you’re getting your domain free (a $15 value). The 36 month plan is the best value. I recommend unchecking all the extra charges – in my opinion you don’t need these. But I highly recommend paying for Domain Privacy Protection – this keeps your information (address, email, phone) private from everyone on the internet – worth 99 cents a month.
7. Woo! Hoo! If you see this “welcome to bluehost” screen that means you officially started your blog! Congrats! A few more steps and you’ll be on your way. Hit create you password, then choose your password or have it suggest a password (that’s usually what I do that way I know it’s secure!) – be sure to write down your password in a safe spot.
8. Login and WordPress should automatically install. If it doesn’t, select your new blog name from the drop down menu and select install. Note: WordPress will install on your blog (not your computer).
9. You can then click the button to login or you can access your site anytime by going to your new blog domain and then adding “/wp-admin” to the end. (i.e. www.therealisticmama.com/wp-admin is how I access the backend of my site).
That’s it! WordPress is where you will customize your site (do this by installing a theme), write your first post, etc.
If you need help installing your theme, I have an entire course that will walk you through all the foundations of blogging successfully and profitably. I’ve went ahead and made the Theme lesson a free preview, so you can access it even before you enroll in the course.
Next Step: Successful Startup
I’d love to continue walking you through everything you need to know (where to go from here) step-by-step in my course, Successful Startup. It covers the entire foundation to creating a successful, profitable blog.
The course covers the entire foundation to successful blogging (as you can see in the list below) and normally sells for $197 (people keep telling me the price should be in the $500+) but I wanted to go one step further and give you a 50% off coupon – bringing it to only $98 for a limited time. 🙂
We can only enroll a limited number of people at this price, so make sure to snag it quick if you’re interested.
Just a quick glimpse at some of what’s included in Successful Startup…
- Student-Only Facebook Group (amazing for asking questions and networking)
- Google Analytics (tracking how many people stop by your site)
- Designing Your Site (sidebar, menu, etc)
- Creating a DIY logo (and my favorite online photo editor)
- Creating quality blog post images (and my favorite stock photo sites, including a free one)
- Social media strategies
- Getting people to follow your new blog
- Why and how to create a profitable newsletter list
- Blog Post Checklist (what to do before you publish each post)
- Affiliate Marketing
- Ads, Sponsored Posts and Other Monetization Strategies
- … And More
Here’s a testimonial from one of my students…
There are only about a handful of bloggers I follow and consistently read their content. The Realistic Mama, Alida’s blog, is one of the few I have continued to love. I open and read almost every email she sends. They’re all thoughtful, helpful, and relatable.
As a current In-Home Daycare Provider (for the past seven years) and former Property Manager (for 12 years before starting my daycare), managing numerous multimillion dollar assets, I understood the benefits of owning a business, both big and small.
I have always been completely inspired by Alida sharing her monthly income and specifically how she earned, what I consider, more than a full-time income working it part time hours! Then, one of her emails was a “surprise; I now have a real course you can take and learn how to blog and make money in your sleep while helping others and loving what you do every day!”
After a bit of thought, enrolling myself in the course was a no-brainer. Considering the amount of money it cost to take college classes, let alone the cost to earn a college degree, the price of the course was a small investment of what I understood the potential to be.
In two short months, I have found success far beyond what or where I imagined I’d be at this point. In two months, I’ve created a substantial following, readers of my blog, who respond to me with “Thank you, I needed to hear this today.” Or “Wow, this message was so inspiring and I’m thankful to have found you.”
These comments alone fill my bucket with happiness, encouragement, and motivation. I’ve also already realized income (again, in just two short months) and fully understand now the sky is the limit.
Thank you, Alida. Thank you for being you and thank you for creating Succesful StartUp!