My two year old has hot chocolate all over her shirt, I grab for the paper towels but there aren’t any! Then I smile to myself, why am I stressing out, this is what life and the holidays are all about. Delicious homemade hot chocolate with the family, my little one eating a few too many marshmallows and sneaking the whipped cream when I’m not looking.
I’m so excited to be working with Horizons to bring you my families all time favorite homemade hot chocolate recipe with homemade whipped cream and marshmallows! It’s that time of year for all of us to embrace the hot chocolate spills and enjoy the smiles and laughter with our families!
It’s not gritty. It’s not watery. Instead think smooth, creamy and absolutely perfect!
Best Ever Homemade Hot Chocolate Recipe
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 cups Horizon Organic Whole Milk
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- Combine maple syrup and water in a medium sized sauce pan over medium-low heat — whisk till combined.
- Add in milk and cocoa powder and whisk until hot.
- Remove from heat and add in vanilla extract.
- Now quickly whip up some whipped cream (see recipe below!).
- Pour hot chocolate into mugs, mix with a little bit of cold milk to make it a safer temperature for little ones. Plop some homemade whipped cream on top and marshmallows and ENJOY! Remember to embrace any spills and just have fun together!
Makes 3-4 cups.
Homemade Whipped Cream
You’ll need Horizons Heavy Whipping Cream and maple syrup. We made a small batch with 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream and 1 tsp. maple syrup but next time we’ll probably double the recipe!
Get out your hand mixer and whisk the 2 ingredients until it turns into whipping cream. We turned our hand mixer up to power 3 and it took about 3-5 minutes.
Here’s my 2 year old loving hers! She was in charge of putting her own marshmallows in her drink.
Corey made his in a Turkish teacup! Aren’t they cool? We bought them at the Grand Bazaar when we had a long layover in Turkey and snuck out of the airport for a few hours, back when we were a kid-free couple traveling the world.
I stuffed my mug full of as much whipped cream as I could fit, topped with tons of marshmallows — seriously the best mug of hot chocolate I’ve ever had!
What are your families favorite holiday traditions?
We’d love to see you again! Join the Realistic Mama’s free email newsletter! Best emails you’ll ever get but I might be slightly biased!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Horizon Organic. The opinions and text are all mine.