This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Sam’s Club. All opinions are 100% mine.
As everyone starts to wrap up their summer and head back to school, it’s fun to share stories about your favorite summer memory – but it’s always good to avoid a flat tire! Hitting the road for a family trip is always the highlight for me, but flat tires are NOT. My family considers me the flat tire professional – before age 20, I’d already had about five! And no – I’m not a bad driver . . . I just seem to have bad luck with foreign objects in the road. So, while I’ve been working to become a pro at getting flat tires, I’ve also become a pro at being prepared for them. Let me share my best tips (and some summer memories in the process!).
- Check your tires before long trips, or at least once a week. Just a quick walk around the car to make sure they are all keeping air is enough and can save you a lot of trouble later on! Two out of my nine flats have been slow leaks that I didn’t notice . . . and nothing is worse than loading the kids in the car for school, pulling out a little late and in a hurry, and then hearing that thump, thump noise. Note: make sure you check your spare too – it won’t help you out much if it’s flat!
- Keep a tire air gauge handy (and know how to use it). This is nice when you have a slow leak and need to fill up your tire before you can get in to have it repaired.
- Speaking of repairs, I recommend finding a store you trust, both for buying tires and getting repairs done. Sam’s Club is having a great event right now, and even offering an Installation Package that includes; tire mounting, lifetime balancing and rotation, no charge flat repair (if you are like me, this is a HUGE money saver!), and 24-hour emergency roadside service. Check out the details on how to save, as well as a chance to win an awesome giveaway, at the end of this post! Using a large company like Sam’s Club is great for summer road trips too, because you can find one almost wherever you are.
- For longer trips, make sure you have water bottles and appropriate clothing/footwear with you. If you end up having to hang out in the car waiting for a tow truck, or walking down the road a ways, you don’t want to get dehydrated or be blistering hot (or freezing!).
Several years ago, I got a flat tire on a busy interstate in St. Paul, Minnesota. It was over 100 degrees outside, and I was headed to the mall when it happened, so I was in a nice short summer skirt and wedges. My phone battery died and I couldn’t call for roadside assistance! So there I was on the side of the interstate, dressed up in my cute summer outfit, and getting all greasy while I changed my tire. I learned that lesson, and now keep a pair of gym shorts, old tennis shoes, and socks in my trunk, next to my spare tire.
- Invest in a phone charger that is dedicated to the car – don’t get stuck with a dead phone! Cell phones have really revolutionized the inconvenience of getting a flat tire. My first flat happened when I was in high school. I was out in the middle of nowhere in Missouri, on my way home from visiting my older brother at college. My dad was able to call a friend of his who lived close to where I was stranded. The friend came, changed the tire, and even drove with me to a gas station to make sure it was full enough!
- When all else fails and you do get a flat, stay calm. Even if you aren’t prepared and can’t change it yourself or call for help, someone will always stop to help you eventually. I’ve met some very kind strangers in my many experiences with flat tires, and deepened some already existing friendships through rescue missions.
Do all these stories make you want to get your tires checked out TODAY? Well, if you pull into your local Sam’s Club, you can take advantage of their #DareToCompare tire event right now. Here’s how it works: you bring a valid “all-in” quote from a tire sales and installation retailer in to your local Sam’s club Tire and Battery Center service counter. Sam’s Club carries top tire brands, including Goodyear, BFG, Michelin, and Pirelli, and will match the quote you bring in! The Tire Installation Package is a great deal too, offering all the service mentioned above at an unbeatable price ($15/tire, $25/dually tire).
To make this all an even sweeter deal, see below for your chance to win a $250 Sam’s Club gift card – just in time to take your car in and get it in perfect shape for the upcoming school year.
Thanks for stopping by!this easy step-by-step tutorial on how start a blog (no tech knowledge required).