It’s summer time, which means it’s time for summer vacations! This year we are headed on a less extravagant trip than usual. The next few months have some big changes ahead for us, so we thought we’d better keep vacation a little simpler, for now, to keep the stress levels down. But that doesn’t mean I should stop dreaming and saving for our next big trip!
5 Tips for Saving for a Dream Vacation
1. Open a new bank account. A checking or savings account that is exclusively for your dream trip and nothing else. Whenever you have a little extra money come in, drop it straight in this account. You can also add to your dream vacation account on a regular bases, a little at the beginning and end of each month, even if it’s just $5 it adds up faster than you think!
2. Set out a save jar at home. Every little coin helps! You can empty this into your newly opened bank account at the end of each month. Write something cute on your jar to help remind and inspire you!
3. Find ways to cut your spending. Look over your budget and find unnecessary expenses that you can cut for the sake of something bigger and better. Check out this post for tons of great ideas: 14+ ways to spend less money.
4. Make a little extra money from home. There are several ways you can do this if you’re willing to think outside-the-box. I know some women who sell home cooked meals, they create a meal plan for the week and then others sign up for what days/meals they would like and pay for both cost of groceries and time of the person making it. If cooking is something you are doing anyway, why not double or triple the recipe you are making that night. Not a cook? No problem, that’s just one idea of many, you could try starting a blog or earn money and help your family by using and sharing essential oils.
5. Make your credit card work for you. The purchases you make now can help pay for airline tickets for your trip later! I love knowing that money I had to spend anyway earns me a little bonus for my dream vacation! Discover it Miles® has some great features and rewards.
- No annual fee
- Fly any airline any time. Just buy a ticket and use Miles to credit your statement
- 1.5x miles for every dollar spent on purchases
- Miles never expire — they will credit your account with your rewards balance if your account is closed or if you have not used it within 18 months.
And no matter how big or small, make sure you make the most of every trip you take, memories are determined by what you decide to make of the circumstances.
This year our vacation is getting tagged on to a blog conference I’m attending, daughter and daddy will play and hang out around the hotel and then after we’ll spend a few extra days and visit family that is close by and hopefully squeeze a beach trip (or two) in! It doesn’t get much cuter than little toes in the sand!
What does your dream vacation look like? Do you have any tips to add on how to creatively save for it?
I was selected for this opportunity as a member of Clever Girls and the content and opinions expressed here are all my own.P.S. Are you looking for extra side income? I make full-time income blogging part-time—check out this easy step-by-step tutorial on how start a blog (no tech knowledge required).