5 Minute Makeup Tips. Whether you are a mom-on-the-go, a busy professional, or both, a long and drawn out makeup routine can really cramp your morning style!
My own life has been getting more and more busy, and I have had to narrow down which parts of my makeup are important, and which I can save for special occasions.
Start with the Right Supplies
One of the most important parts of speeding up your makeup routine is getting the right supplies. Here are some things I have found that help:
- Buy a quality liquid primer-foundation-moisturizer-SPF combination. This will save you the time it takes to apply each of these individually!
- Invest in an eyeliner that works for you. I like soft pencils – I think they go on the most quickly, and definitely are simpler than liquid, and more forgiving than hard pencils.
- Pick a mascara that gives you dark, long lashes with only one layer of application. Who has time to apply multiple layers of mascara at 6:00 in the morning?
- Find 3-4 favorite eye shadows that are neutral enough to match most of your outfits. For this simplified makeup routine, avoid bold and strong colors (save those for your date nights!).
Apply the Makeup
Okay, time for the fun part – applying the makeup! Follow my step-by-step routine to help you spend 5 minutes (or less) in front of the mirror. Keep in mind this is a soft, natural look.
- Apply your combination foundation. Using a triangle makeup sponge is optional, but it does help the foundation go on evenly, saving you time from checking and double-checking your face for those weird patches of thick foundation you might get if you just use your fingertips. To save even more time, only apply the foundation in problem spots, letting your natural, luminous skin or your freckles shine through!
- Using a large foundation brush, soften your liquid foundation by applying a thin layer of mineral powder foundation. It really makes my liquid foundation last longer, and doing a thin layer keeps my face from looking “caked”.
- Next, move to your eyes. There are a lot of ways to speed up this process for every-day wear. Generally speaking, I avoid really heavy eyeliner. Because the rest of my makeup routine is simple and natural-looking, this keeps it toned down. I do a thin line on my bottom lid, and slightly heavier line along my top lashes. Some days, if I’m in a real hurry, I skip the top lid – getting a good, clean line there is often what takes me the most time out of everything!
- While I LOVE the smoky eye look with layers of color, for a simple makeup routine I pick one, muted color and apply it from the crease of my eyelid down.
- Last touch is a single layer of mascara, heavier on the top and just a tiny bit on my bottom lashes.
- Finally, top it off with your favorite sheer or lightly tinted lip gloss. Using a bold colored gloss or lipstick takes more time, because you have to be careful to define the lines of your lips. With tinted or clear, it is less defined and can be done in a flash.
I try to stick to this order, because then I can pick up where I left off if I get interrupted. I’d love to hear your thoughts on this! What are your favorite tricks or tips for makeup in the morning? What problems do you have when trying to move quickly through a routine, and what tends to take up the most time?
Love this post? Connect with us:
Connect with us on Pinterest!
Follow us on Facebook!
This post was written by Becky. Read about our writers here: Meet the Writers!
P.S. Are you looking for extra side income? I make full-time income blogging part-time—check out this easy step-by-step tutorial on how start a blog (no tech knowledge required).