Hey there! Welcome to my post on how to make extra money — $500 or more a month. There are even a few ideas listed where you can make a few thousand a month!
12 Ways to Make Extra Money
1. Start a Blog
This is my favorite way. I’ve made up to $11,000 a month blogging, $7000 being my current average.
3 years ago I “splurged” and spent $3/mo to start a blog that’s primary purpose would be to help others, I was also curious if you could really make money blogging. Last year I made over $85,000 by blogging part-time (that included 3 months off for maternity leave and another 3 and a half months working less while we were traveling). I love how flexible and passive blogging is, and how it can be done from anywhere.
You can start a blog on a variety of things: food, DIY, parenting, budgeting, gardening, tutoring, whatever it is that you’re passionate about there are other’s online that you can help!
- Start a blog using this step-by-step tutorial.
- OR join my (free) webinar and I’ll walk you through the entire thing – you can start a blog while you watch the demonstration.
We’ve also been able to partner up with Bluehost, so you can start a blog for as little as $2.95 a month (over 60% off if you use our link) and you can get a free domain (a $15 value).
2. Answer Surveys
There are tons of survey companies out there that will pay you for taking online surveys.
When Corey and I first got married I signed up for two survey sites and ended up with an occasional survey here or there, I’ve since learned that it’s best to sign up for as many survey sites as you can that way you get more opportunities each week, which makes sense. If you have extra time and want to share your opinion (remember to stay honest), it might be worth checking out a few survey companies.
If it was me, I would try one and see if I enjoy it, then sign up for all the other companies. You won’t become a millionaire but it is fairly easy extra money, we used our checks for fun eating out money like ice cream dates.
When you’re ready, search Pinterest for more survey site ideas and you’ll get a ton of results!
3. Sell on Amazon
Did you know you can start a stay-at-home business selling on Amazon through a program called Amazon FBA (Fulfillment By Amazon). When you’re shopping (retail or online) and find an amazing deal you can purchase these items for your inventory, ship them to Amazon and Amazon will store these items for you until they sell. When a product sells Amazon takes care of everything for you: picking, packing, shipping and even returns.
While I’ve never done this myself, Jessica and her family make over $100,000 a year doing it and you can read my interview with here here.
4. Re-Sell Stuff
You can do this 2 ways…
- Sell your own stuff — go through all your extra stuff laying around your house and start selling it.
- Find/buy things for a great deal (sometimes even free) and re-sell.
Here are a few places you can sell stuff on (just to name a few) to get you started…
- Facebook Marketplace
- A Garage Sale
- Amazon Student – a great place to resell books, especially college textbooks, etc. I’ve went to a thrift store right after a semester is over and scanned all the college textbooks through the Amazon Student App – if any come up as worth something I’ll snag them for cheap and sell them to Amazon for more.
If you love being in the kitchen, you may as well make money doing it! When I was younger I used to make homemade bread (6+ loaves at a time). Keep a few for the family, sell the rest.
I’ve also been on the paying side of this before. When my life was hectic and I was still craving healthy real meals for my family, I hired another mom to make a few meals a week for me. She loved cooking and I didn’t have time so it was perfect!
6. Clean Houses
My sister-in-law and I did this together right out of high school. We found a few friends/neighbors who wanted their houses cleaned on a regular bases. We offered weekly or every other week cleanings. You could also try to get hooked up with someone who has an Airbnb (Vacation Rental Home) that they need a house cleaner for. I assume you can email owners through the Airbnb site with an awesome email that they can’t say no to.
8. Airbnb Your Home
If you’re heading out of town for a long stretch of time it’s worth looking into Airbnb, where you can rent out your home to other’s vacationing in your area. Don’t worry, you get to choose who you accept and don’t accept (and there are ratings and reviews). Or if you aren’t going away you can even look into renting just a room.
Airbnbs becoming more and more common and depending on your area might even be in high demand.
I loved nannying before I had kids! I would often try to find 2 families that needed babysitting at the same time, I made sure it was ok with both sets of families and I could earn twice as much per hour. And the parents loved this because it gave their kids an extra chance to socialize!
If you already have kids, you can also babysit from your home. Your kids will likely love having playmates!
If you love sports this is a great one! Find local recreation leagues, homeschool sports, etc. I never pursued this but once an opportunity fell in my lap: I used to coach for a homeschool sports league (volunteer), one night there was a game after ours where they needed a referee and I ended up getting paid well for a short hour of easy work. It seemed like they were always needed refs!
9. Become a Virtual Assistant
There are tons of ways you can do this…
- Learn as much as you can about a social media site (say this course on Facebook) and then talk to bloggers or local or big companies about hiring you to run their Facebook account for them!
- Start hanging out in blogger Facebook groups, make connections and when you hear the need for a virtual assistant jump on it. Depending on the blogger and the need you might be helping run social media, answering emails, editing posts, etc.
If you have an eye for great photos, why not make money with it. If the cost of a camera is holding you back, look into renting one from your local photography shop until you’re making enough to buy your own.
Once you have a collection of great photos, look into submitting them to stock image sites as another passive income source.
If you love being outdoors, use that to your advantage. Mow yards or offer landscaping/gardening services.
12. More Ideas
If you’re willing to be creative, think outside the box and put in the work there is an unlimited number of ways you can make money…
- Create a course and sell it online (teach yoga, teach music, anything that adds value to someone’s life). I love using Teachable to sell my online courses. Here’s a great webinar to get you started.
- Network marketing done well – make sure you’re genuinely passionate about the product and treat it like a business.
- Clean cars
- Pet Sit for those going out of town who can’t take their animals with them
Have an idea to add? Leave it in the comments so we can all benefit from it!
Don’t Lose These Ideas! Pin This Post: