Today I’m going to show you how to make a blog.
I remember 2 and a half years ago being in your shoes and trying to figure it out. Turns out it’s actually way less complicate than I thought once I knew what I was doing. Here is the entire process laid out for you with screenshots!
How to Make a Blog
1. You Need Hosting
Think of hosting as renting internet space. You want to make sure you’re self-hosted so that your site looks both professional and is easy to monetize.
2. Select Your Plan
Which plan you select is up to you. Personally, I recommend the basic – you can always upgrade down the road when you need it.
3. Choose Your Domain
Most of you will use the “new domain” field – the other field only applies if you already have a blog elsewhere and you want to move it over to Bluehost (which is easy to do!).
If the name you were thinking is already taken, they will give you some alternative directions. Don’t fret over this step too much.
4. Fill in Your Account Info
This one is pretty straight forward. Note: I’ll show you in the next step how to keep this information private.
5. Domain Privacy Protection
Under package information you can select how many months you want to sign up for – the more months you pay for the slightly lower price you pay.
Directly below that there are several extras you can get. I recommend skipping all the extras except for Domain Privacy Protection. That one keeps all your personal info private from anyone and everyone online.
6. Payment Info
Choose your form of payment, confirm and submit.
7. Mini Celebration + Create Password
How exciting! You officially have a blog!!
Just a few more boxes to check off and you’ll be on your way.
Choose a secure password or use the Password Generator, if you generate a password click the “eye” symbol and write down your new password in a safe place.
Use your new domain and the password you just set up to login.
8. Install WordPress
WordPress is what you will use to give your site life (within it you will design your site, write posts, etc).
Next, click “Start a brand new Install.”
Then, select your new domain from the drop down and click “Check Domain”.
After the install in complete, hit “View Credentials” to view your login info.
Save your login info – you will use it often!
9. Login to Your New Site
Use the credentials you just saved to login to the backend of your new site!
You are now ready to start designing your site and making it yours.
10. Get to the Money-Making Stage Pronto
Successful Startup will walk you through everything that is left.
- We’ll show you what an ideal reader is, why it matters and how to discover yours
- Watch how to select the best theme and make a DIY logo
- Learn what permalinks are, why they matter and how to set them up correctly
- Everything you need to know about understanding plugins – how to make them work for your site and not hurt your site
- We’ll show you exactly why and how to get rid of jet pack and what to use instead AND include a list of our favorite plugins so you don’t have to waste time testing your own
- Learn the 7 ingredients to a great About Me page that helps your reader feel connected so they stick around
- Create a Contact Me page for both your readers and brands who want to hire you
- Create an effective and consistent brand across all platforms
- Use our social media tips to quickly set up accounts that are attractive to your readers
- We’ll cover all the little details like “Follow Me” buttons on your blog so your readers can find you on your social channels
- Create a menu bar that makes sense to your readers and makes your site easy to navigate
- Learn the 4 things every good sidebar needs
- Read how to write killer posts that attract loyal followers
- Print our worksheet for post ideas so you never have to wonder what to write about
- We’ll share with you how to write authentic posts that your readers will connect with
- Learn the importance of images in this visual world and how to make yours stand out
- Use our proven blog post checklist before you publish posts
- Learn why your newsletter matter
- Listen to our webinar on how to get your first 1000 subscribers and how to implement list building strategies
- Use our templates to make a freebie for your newsletters subscribers – to wow your list and attract even more subscribers
- Launch your site the right way
- Save hours of time and set up Pinterest Rich Pins in no time
- Learn the exact way to promote your posts and print a promotional strategy checklist for every post going forward
- I’ll share my top 3 secrets to getting the most out of networking and show you how it can help build your blog quickly and painlessly
- Learn how to set up multiple streams of income so you can start getting paid
Go to Successful Startup and click “Enroll in Course”.
The course has 12 sections, 30 lessons, a workbook, blog planner, video tutorials, bonuses and a private Facebook group (all together over $2000 value) – for a limited time you can get it at a promo price of $197.
Or 2 payments of $105 a month – select whichever pricing plan fits your needs better.
Next, you’ll create your account and fill in payment info.
Finally, read the welcome message, print the workbook and go through each of the 30 lessons one-by-one and follow the action steps to get to a successful, money-making blog.
You got this!
P.S. Are you looking for extra side income? I make full-time income blogging part-time—check out this easy step-by-step tutorial on how start a blog (no tech knowledge required).