Camping with kids, especially younger children may seem like a huge undertaking, but spending time enjoying nature together is such a wonderful way to build family bonds and get away from the stress of everyday life. Here are some tips for making it the best experience – for both parents and kiddos!
Because, as the leaves start to turn brilliant orange and gold, and that autumn chill rolls around once again, many of us get the itch to head out for a good, old-fashioned family camping trip and with these 5 hacks, we’ll have you set for a great time!
5 Tips for Camping with Kids
- Make sure you know how to set up your tent before you get there! Maybe have a “practice night” in your backyard before the “real” camping trip. Nothing is more difficult than entertaining kids while battling against an especially tricky set of tent poles!
- Plan ahead with some activities for your kids, both things they can do on their own and games for the entire family. This could include a nature scavenger hunt, I-Spy with a fun object from home, or outdoor games like Frisbee or football. If you are able to bring bikes, that could provide hours of entertainment!
- Food is one of the hardest things about camping with kids. Do as much preparation ahead of time, like making scrambled eggs and bringing them in a large water bottle or making up a batch of banana muffins at home to bring with you. Organize your food area by bringing a small folding table, or using a nearby picnic table. Don’t forget plenty of eco-friendly washable rags, or paper towels!
- Pack clothes in a roll. We laid out a bottom, undies and a top and then rolled the outfit together. Secure it with a rubber band! This will help keep your tent neat and tidy, and make that morning getting ready time smooth sailing.
- Don’t forget to pack plenty of wood, and if you have time, bring homemade fire-starter “pods”: Keep your dryer lint and fill a cardboard egg carton with the lint. Pour wax over it, and after the wax dries, break off into individual chunks. These pods will even start a fire in a drizzling rain!
- Bonus Tip: Whatever you do, remember the s’mores makings! Here are my favorite recipes for homemade marshmallows and homemade graham crackers.
Have you been camping this summer or fall? What was your favorite part? What was the greatest challenge of camping with kids?
Love this post? Connect with us:
Subscribe to our emails.
Connect with us on Pinterest!
Follow us on Facebook!
Before you leave come join us on Pinterest:
Visit Alida | The Realistic Mama’s profile on Pinterest.
Download My Free Family Organizer
Ready to de-stress + spend more time with your kids?
Life gets busy. I hear you. I'm here to show you how to CREATE more time for what matters most. Get a free family organizer as a thank you for joining our newsletter – includes monthly calendars, chore charts, meal planners and more...
Leave a Reply